Saturday 4 February 2012

A Quick, Tasty and Healthy Dessert

Ok, I know I only just posted about the cookies but lesson planning isn't the most exciting thing in the world, even if it is on deserts, so I'm distracting myself on my blog again. Though I'd share one of my favourite recipes with you. Originally I found this in some type of Moroccan cook book, but can't remember exactly, I think it was using figs instead of apples too (which also work very well but are more expensive and normally I don't have them randomly in my house). Apples on the other hand, there always seems to be a few left over that have gone a bit soft, have a few bruises, you don't really feel like eating them but don't want to throw them away. So, what you could do is make some roasted apples with honey and yoghurt, yum!


Step one, find some apples!



Step two, peel the apples, remove any bruises. If they're nice fresh apples you could just leave the skin on for some extra fibre.


Step three: cut up the apples, remove any pips and the core (obviously!) and put on a piece of foil in the grill (make sure you turn up the sides as shown, this will prevent melted honey dripping inside your grill).


Step four: drizzle honey generously (or according to taste!) over the apples


Step five: grill on a HIGH heat (not low of they'll just go really soft and fall apart rather than roasting) until they look like this


Step six: serve immediately (they go cold very quick) with a generous helping of plain creamy yoghurt (I like Greek Yoghurt, they do a really nice one in Lidl, or you could get the Total brand from Waitrose, which is also very yummy, but it's more expensive).


Step seven: enjoy!! As I said, also works well with figs, or you could have a mixture of figs and apples... please give me a comment to let me know what you think. Oh, I forgot, you could also add a little cinnamon to give it some more flavour. 


Makes a great dessert, or tea time snack... in fact I had these today for a late breakfast!





3 comments:

  1. This also works well with brown sugar as well as or instead of honey, and a bit of cinnamon for some extra flavour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy! Most probably I'll try it later on today, I'll let you know how it tasted and send you a photo maybe! =)
    P.S it also works with vanilla ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for your comment! yes ice cream would also be nice! maybe chocolate ice cream too!

      Delete